COURGETTE PROTEIN OATMEAL
My favourite way to start, end... or get through the day is with a bowl of egg white, courgette oatmeal. I know it may not sound like the most fitting of combinations, but don't judge a book by its cover! This recipe can be made with many different toppings/powders/sweeteners, but this one is my favourite. I also enjoy milk based oatmeal, when I make it this way I leave out the courgette & egg whites as milk provides you with many added micro-nutrients and changes the texture itself. Enjoy!
1/2 Grated Courgette
10g Chia seeds
70ml Egg Whites
Water as needed
1 large handful Blueberries/Raspberries
Stevia Sweetener drops
20g Almond Butter
70g 0% Strained Greek Yogurt
Sprinkle of Cinnamon
Optional added fruits/honey
NOTE - Crave chocolate? Stir a tspn of caco powder in the mix.
Enjoy pumpkin spice? Stir in cinnamon, nutmeg & all spice.
Like juice textures? Stew a finely sliced apple with blueberries to drizzle over the top.
Need an immune boost? Add wheatgrass powder or beetroot powder for a pop of colour!
Pictures of many types of combinations are shown here.
514 Cals, C55, F18, P30
- This may be done on the hob, or in a microwave. Mix your oats, grated courgette and chia seeds with water which just fills to their height in the bowl/saucepan.
- Stir well, allow the water to be absorbed, and the mix to expand. This may take 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add in the egg whites (I recommend using a bottle brand for a smoother consistency, those straight from an egg can clump together). Stir well, heat the mixture more, and continue to stir as it cooks.
- Allow 3/4 minutes of heating & stirring while the egg whites cook with the mixture. It will now become more creamy, and if you rather your oats softer, should add more water if the consistency gets too thick or stodgy for your preferences.
- Add stevia sweetener drops if desired (I use NicksUK natural or vanilla, adding 8/10 drops).
- Finally you may choose to stir your berries into the mix for 1 minute, which can heat the blueberries so that they juice is just about to pop from them - a great burst of taste!
- When the consistency is at your desired texture, then add your toppings, or those recommended. You may add banana, bee pollen, flaxseeds, hemp seeds, cacao nibs, honey, coconut flakes, whole nuts... the list goes on!
Put on the kettle & enjoy!